Ref NoA21/2
TitleGalway Infirmary
DescriptionNewspaper cuttings from the "Galway Pilot", "Galway Vindicator", "Galway Express" and "Galway Observer" concerning the Galway Infirmary, 1887-1892. The cuttings for each year are encased in a paper folder. The cuttings give details of: the appointment of Dr. Colahan as resident surgeon at the Infirmary; the Commission set up to inquire into the Infirmary; a dispute among the medical professors regarding clinical teaching at the Infirmary; efforts to keep the Infirmary open and its reconditution as the Galway Hospital. The Infirmary had been kept open in the winter of 1890-1891 by a grant from the College, as Dr. Pye and Dr. Kinkeadd had stopped the Grand Jury presentment to the Infirmary 'by taking advantage of a technical cluse in the Old Act of Parliament' [see A21/8]. It was agreed that Professors Lynham, Anderson and Colahan would be the clinical teachers at the Infirmary in Jan 1891.
Date1887-1892
Extent41 items
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022